Author Topic: Notify me function  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Frederic Bouquet

• MOSEM Partner contact
  • Bottom quark
Notify me function
« on: Fri 2008-02-15 13:17 »

[...]

The Intranet links to this forum, the file repository, the editor for the online learning application and the web page. I will make a PDF which shows this clearly since people apparently did not pay attention when I showed this at the Kick-off meeting.

Vegard, if you prepare a pdf to explain the forum, it would be worthwhile to insist on the "notify" option. I just discovered it, and I plan to urge the wP3 participant to use it as well, in order to avoid always sending emails in parallel to filling the forum...

See you soon,

Frederic

Offline Vegard Stornes Farstad

• GAME ON Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • X boson
  • Scientia Longa, Vita Brevis; Carpe Noctem
    • Facebook - VegardFarstadSRD
    • LinkedIn - http://linkedin.com/in/vegardfarstadsrd
    • Twitter - VegardFarstad
    • Skype - vegard.farstad
    • Simplicatus Research and Development AS
Using the notify me function
« Reply #1 on: Fri 2008-02-15 18:30 »

Vegard, if you prepare a pdf to explain the forum, it would be worthwhile to insist on the "notify" option. I just discovered it, and I plan to urge the wP3 participant to use it as well, in order to avoid always sending emails in parallel to filling the forum...

See you soon,

Frederic

I agree this is very useful, when used with moderation. I haven't quite figured out how many gets an email notification when you do, is it all the users or just those in that group? If it is everybody, and you notify every time you post in the WP3 board....

So I think it makes sense to do it when announcing something important, but not for every post (unless you can notify only those you want to notify, sometimes not even the whole work group).
« Last Edit: Fri 2008-02-15 19:37 by Vegard Engstrøm »
Vegard Stornes Farstad, M.Sc.
Scientific Director
Simplicatus Research and Development AS
--
simplicatus.com   <>  Simplicatus R&D AS
mosem.eu           <>  P.O. Box 27
+47 911 88 774   <>  NO-2018 Løvenstad

Offline Harvey Mellar

• External advisor
  • GAME ON Partner
  • Charm quark
Using the
« Reply #2 on: Fri 2008-02-15 18:59 »
Vegard writes: I agree this is very useful, when used with moderation. I haven't quite figured out how many gets an email notification when you do, is it all the users or just those in that group? If it is everybody, and you notify every time you post in the WP3 board....

'Notify' informs the person who asks to be notified, it does not send it to other people.
'Send this topic' will send a notice to other people - but this has to be done person by person - the addition of some group mailing facility would be very useful, but I can not find anything in the documentation that seems to allow this.

That at least is what I have understood so far ...

• GAME ON Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • X boson
    • Skype - vegard.farstad
Notify me function
« Reply #3 on: Fri 2008-02-15 19:03 »

'Notify' informs the person who asks to be notified, it does not send it to other people.
'Send this topic' will send a notice to other people - but this has to be done person by person - the addition of some group mailing facility would be very useful, but I can not find anything in the documentation that seems to allow this.

You are right, I mixed up the "notify" and "send this topic" functions. Clearly "notify", which is really "notify me", can be used for every post or for as many as each person prefers. I will check the options for "send this topic" as well.
Scientific Director
--

Offline Grzegorz Karwasz

• Project Coordinator, WP2
  • Disabled
  • Charm quark
Re: Notify me function and General remarks
« Reply #4 on: Sun 2008-02-17 14:03 »

You are right, I mixed up the "notify" and "send this topic" functions. Clearly "notify", which is really "notify me", can be used for every post or for as many as each person prefers. I will check the options for "send this topic" as well.
Dear Vegard,
we should try to reduce the number of places (I mean directories) under which we place the correspondce.
Then, we need the file repository, for presentatios from PM01, for example, which are very important,
as they affect :) the whole project.

Greetings
Grzegorz

• GAME ON Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • X boson
    • Skype - vegard.farstad
Re: Notify me function
« Reply #5 on: Tue 2008-02-19 09:40 »
The correspondence is here in the forum, grouped by topic.

The files will be in the intranet - I will upload all the files as soon as we have the file validation routine working properly. I only have internet here during the meeting, so please understand that I cannot work 24 hours a day with this right now.
Scientific Director
--

• GAME ON Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • X boson
    • Skype - vegard.farstad
Re: Notify me function
« Reply #6 on: Thu 2008-07-17 12:58 »
Vegard writes: I agree this is very useful, when used with moderation. I haven't quite figured out how many gets an email notification when you do, is it all the users or just those in that group? If it is everybody, and you notify every time you post in the WP3 board.....

You can choose which member groups to send to (e.g. Steering Committee, WP leaders) but you cannot choose "WP3 members" as far as I can see now. Perhaps it is possible to choose individual members from a list, but I am not sure.
Scientific Director
--