Author Topic: Feedback on the GIREP 2009 workshop  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Wim Peeters

• WP5 leader
  • MOSEM WP leader
  • Bottom quark
Feedback on the GIREP 2009 workshop
« on: Sun 2009-08-16 16:32 »
If you use this topic, please indicate the task and the question you are answering to. If it is a general comment, do not hesitate, but let us know. Thank you!

Offline Wim Peeters

• WP5 leader
  • MOSEM WP leader
  • Bottom quark
Re: Feedback on the GIREP 2009 workshop
« Reply #1 on: Wed 2009-08-19 12:59 »
In attachment, task 1 and task 2 of this workshop.

Offline Wim Peeters

• WP5 leader
  • MOSEM WP leader
  • Bottom quark
« Reply #2 on: Thu 2009-08-20 14:27 »
And here task 3 and 4.

Offline deambrosis

• Reference group
« Reply #3 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:11 »
Task 3 Q1a

First: It is not just a problem of changing the distance. Second: deformation is not considered. Third: only deformation is considered. Fourth: There is light only if there is a power supply

Q1b The question is not clear: Do you mean "...there is an induced current only when there is..." or "...there is an induced current also when there is..."

Vera and Anna

Offline deambrosis

• Reference group
« Reply #4 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:24 »
task 4
A1 black plastic isolation: Insude a rotating magnet and a fixed coil in front of the magnet....
A2....

Offline deambrosis

• Reference group
« Reply #5 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:36 »
Task 1 the magnet accelerates because the copper does not ifluences the motion of the magnet.

Offline deambrosis

• Reference group
« Reply #6 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:40 »
task1 q2
there are currents in the copper plan that interact with the rotating magnet

Offline koudelkova

• Teacher Czech Republic
« Reply #7 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:41 »
task 1 Q2
First reaction of students: It's impossible!
Second reaction: The copper desk influences the magnet.

Offline deambrosis

• Reference group
« Reply #8 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:50 »
The workshop was fine. We were involved in interesting activities. These activities solicited my interst in kowing more about the content matter developed in the whole project.
Thank you very much
Anna

Offline koudelkova

• Teacher Czech Republic
« Reply #9 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:50 »
Thank you verz much for the workshop. I'd like to use some materials from MOSEM for my students. Verka

Offline Grant

• Reference group
« Reply #10 on: Thu 2009-08-20 16:53 »
Great to be a student again and I really enjoyed describing and analysing the torch. I would liked to have also tried with the mobile phone transformer. This approach is more exciting than exploring these ideas out of context.

I also like the idea of predicting and recording students thoughts on the outcomes of experiements and it was good to see new experiments that I will have to go away and think about.

I hope to use these ideas with my students and I will encourage colleagues to investigate these resources.

Offline Vegard Stornes Farstad

• GAME ON Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • X boson
  • Scientia Longa, Vita Brevis; Carpe Noctem
    • Facebook - VegardFarstadSRD
    • LinkedIn - http://linkedin.com/in/vegardfarstadsrd
    • Twitter - VegardFarstad
    • Skype - vegard.farstad
    • Simplicatus Research and Development AS
« Reply #11 on: Fri 2009-08-21 10:46 »
I'm very happy to read these responses. Seems that you got both some useful scientific/pedagogic input on the experiments themselves, and also positive feedback on the quality and organization of the workshop. Well done!

I look forward to some kind of summary of the workshop, please post it here when you have completed it (I think it makes sense to have this separate from any "minutes" in case you made project decisions as well at GIREP).
Vegard Stornes Farstad, M.Sc.
Scientific Director
Simplicatus Research and Development AS
--
simplicatus.com   <>  Simplicatus R&D AS
mosem.eu           <>  P.O. Box 27
+47 911 88 774   <>  NO-2018 Løvenstad

Offline dvorakova

• Reference group
« Reply #12 on: Sun 2009-08-30 18:34 »
I would like to send you my feedback on the Girep workshop as I promised during the conference dinner.
My first comment concerns the task 3 - if you try to do this experiment (with a magnet, one turn of wire and a bulb) you see that the bulb doesn´t light at all. The voltage induced in one turn is too low.

My second comment concerns my feeling - I had no experience of success. Next task was given before the previous one was ended, so we had little time to work. At the same time information about seminars for teachers in Italy and Belgium (in the first part of the workshop) were not very interesting and important for us - perhaps these information might be presented in some independet talk or poster or given to us in written form.

Yet, I am glad I participated at the workshop because the materials at MOSEM web are very interesting and useful for me.

Irena

Offline Vegard Stornes Farstad

• GAME ON Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • X boson
  • Scientia Longa, Vita Brevis; Carpe Noctem
    • Facebook - VegardFarstadSRD
    • LinkedIn - http://linkedin.com/in/vegardfarstadsrd
    • Twitter - VegardFarstad
    • Skype - vegard.farstad
    • Simplicatus Research and Development AS
« Reply #13 on: Mon 2009-08-31 08:59 »
Dear Irena, thank you for your comments!

I would like to send you my feedback on the Girep workshop as I promised during the conference dinner.
My first comment concerns the task 3 - if you try to do this experiment (with a magnet, one turn of wire and a bulb) you see that the bulb doesn´t light at all. The voltage induced in one turn is too low.

Do you think it would be better to use a multimeter? I guess adding an amplifier to make the bulb light is perhaps a little too complicated, and we also cannot include this in our kit, I think.

My second comment concerns my feeling - I had no experience of success. Next task was given before the previous one was ended, so we had little time to work.

This is a general problems in such workshops - you have the choice between spending most of the time on one activity so it can be explored in depth, or to show more activities. My experience is that you cannot please everybody, I have tried both methods and either somebody complains that it was too fast, or that they wanted to see more activities.

Since people have different preferences, do you have any suggestions for how we could improve this in the future? Would it be an idea to allow people to stay at a station if they prefer to work more on this experiment, instead of rotating? I have seen sometimes that we end up rotating fewer times than planned, since everybody wants more time. And those who want to look around could perhaps do that.

This would be a more free/loose organization of the work in the stations, and I know it is then a different approach to the one planned. We have a number of different pedagogical methods to be used for such work in stations, and my guess is that it might be easier to present the benefits of each method if you have the time with your class of students to try all of them during a school year.

In a short workshop like the one at GIREP, the situation is of course very different. So your feedback is valuable to us!

At the same time information about seminars for teachers in Italy and Belgium (in the first part of the workshop) were not very interesting and important for us - perhaps these information might be presented in some independet talk or poster or given to us in written form.

Yet, I am glad I participated at the workshop because the materials at MOSEM web are very interesting and useful for me.

Irena

I agree that we can organize this particular information differently.
Thank you for your comments, I am very happy that you liked the workshop, and I look forward to hear from you again!

Best regards,
Vegard Engstrøm
MOSEM Project manager
Vegard Stornes Farstad, M.Sc.
Scientific Director
Simplicatus Research and Development AS
--
simplicatus.com   <>  Simplicatus R&D AS
mosem.eu           <>  P.O. Box 27
+47 911 88 774   <>  NO-2018 Løvenstad